Master Services Agreement
- SAAS SERVICES AND SUPPORT
- Subject to the terms of this Agreement, Company will use commercially reasonable efforts to provide Customer (and its affiliates) the Services as defined in the Company order form (“Services”) in accordance with the Service Level Terms attached hereto as Exhibit A. As part of the registration process, Customer will identify an administrative user name and password for Customer’s Company account. Company reserves the right to refuse registration of or cancel passwords it deems inappropriate because they are not sufficiently secure. In the event of cancellation of a password, Company will provide Customer advance written notice of such cancellation and provide Customer an opportunity to change such password prior to cancellation.
- Subject to the terms hereof, Company will provide Customer with technical support services in accordance with the terms set forth in Exhibit B.
- RESTRICTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Customer will not, directly or indirectly: reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble or otherwise attempt to discover the source code, object code or underlying structure, ideas, know-how or algorithms relevant to the Services or any software, documentation or data related to the Services (“Software”); modify, translate, or create derivative works based on the Services or any Software (except to the extent expressly permitted by Company or authorized within the Services); use the Services or any Software for timesharing or service bureau purposes or otherwise for the benefit of a third party (other than an affiliate); or remove any proprietary notices or labels. With respect to any Software that is distributed or provided to Customer for use on Customer premises or devices, Company hereby grants Customer a non-exclusive, non-transferable, non-sublicensable license to use such Software during the Term only in connection with the Services.
- Further, Customer may not remove or export from the United States or allow the export or re-export of the Services, Software or anything related thereto, or any direct product thereof in violation of any restrictions, laws or regulations of the United States Department of Commerce, the United States Department of Treasury Office of Foreign Assets Control, or any other United States or foreign agency or authority. As defined in FAR section 2.101, the Software and documentation are “commercial items” and according to DFAR section 252.227‑7014(a)(1) and (5) are deemed to be “commercial computer software” and “commercial computer software documentation.” Consistent with DFAR section 227.7202 and FAR section 12.212, any use modification, reproduction, release, performance, display, or disclosure of such commercial software or commercial software documentation by the U.S. Government will be governed solely by the terms of this Agreement and will be prohibited except to the extent expressly permitted by the terms of this Agreement.
- Customer represents that Customer shall use the Services only in compliance with Company’s standard published policies then in effect and all applicable laws and regulations. Although Company has no obligation to monitor Customer’s use of the Services, Company may do so and may prohibit any use of the Services it believes may be (or alleged to be) in violation of the foregoing.
- Customer shall be responsible for obtaining and maintaining any equipment and ancillary services needed to connect to, access or otherwise use the Services, including, without limitation, modems, hardware, servers, software, operating systems, networking, web servers and the like (collectively, “Equipment”), including the security of any Equipment on Customer’s premises. Customer shall also be responsible for maintaining the security of the Customer accounts and passwords (including but not limited to administrative and user accounts and passwords) and files, and for all uses of Customer account with or without Customer’s knowledge or consent, provided that Company is responsible for maintaining the security of the Customer accounts and passwords in a manner that is within Company’s control. For clarity, Customer is not responsible for security breaches of Customer accounts created by security breaches effecting the entire Services.
- Publicity and Use Restrictions. The Services are provided solely for Customer’s internal business needs. Customer shall not sell or sublicense access to the Services. Customer shall not publish, reproduce, or copy content derived from the Services for external use without Company’s permission.
- CONFIDENTIALITY; PROPRIETARY RIGHTS
- Each party (the “Receiving Party”) understands that the other party (the “Disclosing Party”) has disclosed or may disclose business, technical or financial information relating to the Disclosing Party’s business (hereinafter referred to as “Proprietary Information” of the Disclosing Party). Proprietary Information of Company includes non-public information regarding features, functionality and performance of the Service. Proprietary Information of Customer includes non-public data provided by Customer to Company to enable the provision of the Services (“Customer Data”). The Receiving Party agrees: (i) to take reasonable precautions to protect such Proprietary Information, and (ii) not to use (except in performance of the Services or as otherwise permitted herein) or divulge to any third person any such Proprietary Information. The Disclosing Party agrees that the confidentiality obligations shall survive for two (2) years following the termination or expiration of this Agreement. These confidentiality obligations shall not apply to any information that the Receiving Party can document (a) is or becomes generally available to the public through no fault of the Receiving Party, or (b) was in its possession or known by it prior to receipt from the Disclosing Party, as demonstrated by Receiving Party’s files in existence at the time of such disclosure or (c) was rightfully disclosed to it without restriction by a third party, or (d) was independently developed without use of any Proprietary Information of the Disclosing Party, as demonstrated by Receiving Party’s files in existence at the time of such development.
- Notwithstanding anything to the contrary herein, each party may disclose the other party’s Confidential Information in order to comply with applicable law and/or an order from a court or other governmental body of competent jurisdiction, and, in connection with compliance with such an order only, if such party: (i) unless prohibited by law, gives the other party prior written notice to such disclosure if the time between that order and such disclosure reasonably permits or, if time does not permit, gives the other party written notice of such disclosure promptly after complying with that order and (ii) fully cooperates with the other party, at the other party’s cost and expense, in seeking a protective order, or confidential treatment, or taking other measures to oppose or limit such disclosure. Each party must not release any more of the other party’s Confidential Information than is, in the opinion of its counsel, reasonably necessary to comply with an applicable order.
- Customer shall own all right, title and interest in and to the Customer Data, as well as any data that is based on or derived from the Customer Data and provided to Customer as part of the Services. Company shall own and retain all right, title and interest in and to (a) the Services and Software, all improvements, enhancements or modifications thereto, (b) any software, applications, inventions or other technology developed in connection with Services or support, and (c) all intellectual property rights related to any of the foregoing.
- Notwithstanding anything to the contrary, Company shall have the right collect and analyze data and other information relating to the provision, use and performance of various aspects of the Services and related systems and technologies (including, without limitation, information concerning Customer Data and data derived therefrom), and Company will be free (during and after the term hereof) to (i) use such information and data to improve and enhance the Services and for other development, diagnostic and corrective purposes in connection with the Services and other Company offerings, and (ii) disclose such data solely in de-identified, aggregate form in connection with its business. No rights or licenses are granted except as expressly set forth herein.
- PAYMENT OF FEES
- Customer will pay Company the then applicable fees described in the Order Form for the Services in accordance with the terms therein (the “Fees”). If Customer’s use of the Services exceeds the Service Capacity set forth on the Order Form or otherwise requires the payment of additional fees (per the terms of this Agreement), Customer shall be billed for such usage and Customer agrees to pay the additional fees in the manner provided herein. Company reserves the right to change the Fees or applicable charges and to institute new charges and Fees at the end of the Initial Service Term or then‑current renewal term, upon thirty (30) days prior notice to Customer (which may be sent by email). If Customer believes that Company has billed Customer incorrectly, Customer must contact Company no later than 90 days after the closing date on the first billing statement in which the error or problem appeared, in order to receive an adjustment or credit. Inquiries should be directed to Company’s customer support department.
- Company may choose to bill through an invoice, in which case, full payment for invoices issued in any given month must be received by Company forty-five (45) days after the mailing date of the invoice. Customer shall be responsible for all taxes associated with Services other than U.S. taxes based on Company’s net income.
- TERM AND TERMINATION
- Subject to earlier termination as provided below, this Agreement is for the Initial Service Term as specified in the Order Form.
- In addition to any other remedies it may have, either party may also terminate this Agreement upon thirty (30) days’ notice (or without notice in the case of nonpayment), if the other party materially breaches any of the terms or conditions of this Agreement. If the Services fail to comply with Company provided documentation in a manner that materially prevents Customer from using the Services as intended by the parties pursuant to this Agreement for three consecutive months, and Company is unable to cure the failure within 30 days of receipt of written notice of such failure, then Customer shall have the right to terminate this Agreement. Customer will pay in full for the Services up to and including the last day on which the Services are provided. To the extent Customer has terminated this Agreement pursuant to this Section 5.2 due to material breach by the Company which cannot be cured within fifteen (15) business days, Company shall refund any prepaid and unused fees. No other refunds will be offered at any time. All sections of this Agreement which by their nature should survive termination will survive termination, including, without limitation, accrued rights to payment, confidentiality obligations, warranty disclaimers, indemnity, and limitations of liability.
- WARRANTY AND DISCLAIMER
Company shall comply with prevailing industry standards to maintain the Services in a manner which minimizes errors and interruptions in the Services. Services may be temporarily unavailable for scheduled maintenance or for unscheduled emergency maintenance, either by Company or by third-party providers, or because of other causes beyond Company’s reasonable control, but Company shall use reasonable efforts to provide advance notice in writing or by e-mail of any scheduled service disruption. HOWEVER, COMPANY DOES NOT WARRANT THAT THE SERVICES WILL BE UNINTERRUPTED OR ERROR FREE; NOR DOES IT MAKE ANY WARRANTY AS TO THE RESULTS THAT MAY BE OBTAINED FROM USE OF THE SERVICES. EXCEPT AS EXPRESSLY SET FORTH IN THIS SECTION, THE SERVICES IS PROVIDED “AS IS” AND COMPANY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT.
- Company shall indemnify, defend and hold Customer harmless from liability to third parties resulting from infringement by the Service of any patent, trademark or any copyright or misappropriation of any trade secret, but excluding any open source related claims, provided Company is promptly notified of any and all threats, claims and proceedings related thereto (provided that failure to provide such notice promptly will only relieve Company of its obligations under this Section 7 to the extent its ability to defend or settle an applicable claim is materially prejudiced by such failure to provide prompt notice) and given reasonable assistance (at Company’s expense) and the opportunity to assume sole control over defense and settlement; Company will not be responsible for any settlement it does not approve in writing. Customer’s counsel will have the right to participate in the defense of the Infringement Claim, at Customer’s own expense. Company will not, without the prior written consent of Company, make any admission or prejudicial statement, settle, compromise or consent to the entry of any judgment with respect to any pending or threatened claim. Company shall not enter into any settlement agreement with respect to a claim if such settlement agreement requires any admission of liability or wrongdoing on the part of Customer or imposes on Customer any obligation other than the obligation to cease using the Services that are subject to the claim, unless Customer has first consented in writing to the applicable terms of such settlement agreement that are in conflict with the foregoing limitations. In the event that Company’s right to provide the Services is enjoined or in Company’s reasonable opinion is likely to be enjoined, Company may obtain the right to continue providing the Services, replace or modify the Services so that they become non-infringing, or, if such remedies are not reasonably available, terminate this Agreement without liability to Customer. THE FOREGOING STATES THE ENTIRE OBLIGATION OF COMPANY AND ITS LICENSORS WITH RESPECT TO ANY ALLEGED OR ACTUAL INFRINGEMENT OR MISAPPROPRIATION OF INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS BY THE SERVICES. The foregoing obligations do not apply with respect to portions or components of the Service (i) not supplied by Company, (ii) that are modified after delivery by Company, (iii) combined with other products, processes or materials where the alleged infringement relates to such combination, except in the event Company has recommended or otherwise encouraged such combination, (iv) where Customer continues allegedly infringing activity after being notified thereof or after being informed of modifications that would have avoided the alleged infringement, or (v) where Customer’s use of the Service is not strictly in accordance with this Agreement. If, due to a claim of infringement, the Services are held by a court of competent jurisdiction to be or are believed by Company to be infringing, Company may, at its option and expense (a) replace or modify the Service to be non-infringing provided that such modification or replacement contains substantially similar features and functionality, (b) obtain for Customer a license to continue using the Service, or (c) if neither of the foregoing is commercially practicable, terminate this Agreement and Customer’s rights hereunder and provide Customer a refund of any prepaid, unused fees for the Service.
- Customer hereby agrees to at its expense: (i) defend, or at its option settle, any claim brought against Company by an unaffiliated third party alleging that Customer’s misuse of the Services, during the applicable Term, infringed such party’s patent registered as of the Effective Date, or any copyright or trademark of such party, or made unlawful use of such party’s trade secret (each, an “Infringement Claim”) and (ii) indemnify Company against and pay (1) any settlement of such Infringement Claim consented to by Customer or (2) any damages finally awarded by a court of competent jurisdiction to such third party as relief or remedy in such Infringement Claim.
- LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
NOTWITHSTANDING ANYTHING TO THE CONTRARY, THE COMPANY AND ITS SUPPLIERS (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO ALL EQUIPMENT AND TECHNOLOGY SUPPLIERS), OFFICERS, AFFILIATES, REPRESENTATIVES, CONTRACTORS AND EMPLOYEES SHALL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE OR LIABLE WITH RESPECT TO ANY SUBJECT MATTER OF THIS AGREEMENT OR TERMS AND CONDITIONS RELATED THERETO UNDER ANY CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE, STRICT LIABILITY OR OTHER THEORY: (A) FOR ERROR OR INTERRUPTION OF USE OR FOR LOSS OR INACCURACY OR CORRUPTION OF DATA OR COST OF PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS, SERVICES OR TECHNOLOGY OR LOSS OF BUSINESS; (B) FOR ANY INDIRECT, EXEMPLARY, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES; OR (C) FOR ANY AMOUNTS THAT, TOGETHER WITH AMOUNTS ASSOCIATED WITH ALL OTHER CLAIMS, EXCEED THE FEES PAID BY CUSTOMER TO COMPANY FOR THE SERVICES UNDER THIS AGREEMENT IN THE 12 MONTHS PRIOR TO THE ACT THAT GAVE RISE TO THE LIABILITY, IN EACH CASE, WHETHER OR NOT COMPANY HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. THE FOREGOING LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY SHALL NOT APPLY TO OR LIMIT IN ANY MANNER COMPANY’S OBLIGATIONS OR LIABILITY WITH RESPECT TO SECTION 3 (“CONFIDENTIALITY; PROPRIETARY RIGHTS”). FURTHER, WITH RESPECT TO COMPANY’S LIABILITY OR OBLIGATION UNDER SECTION 7 (“INDEMNITY”), CUSTOMER’S LIABILITY SHALL NOT EXCEED TWO (2) TIMES THE FEES PAID BY CUSTOMER TO COMPANY FOR THE SERVICES UNDER THIS AGREEMENT IN THE 12 MONTHS PRIOR TO THE ACT THAT GAVE RISE TO THE LIABILITY.
If any provision of this Agreement is found to be unenforceable or invalid, that provision will be limited or eliminated to the minimum extent necessary so that this Agreement will otherwise remain in full force and effect and enforceable. This Agreement is not assignable, transferable or sublicensable by either party without the prior written consent of the other party, which consent will not be unreasonably withheld. Notwithstanding the foregoing, either party may assign this Agreement in its entirety, without consent of the other party, in connection with a merger, acquisition, corporate reorganizations, or the sale of all or substantially all the assets of the business to which the Agreement relates or to an affiliate that is able to satisfy the obligations of the assigning party under this Agreement. This Agreement is the complete and exclusive statement of the mutual understanding of the parties and supersedes and cancels all previous written and oral agreements, communications and other understandings relating to the subject matter of this Agreement, and that all waivers and modifications must be in a writing signed by both parties, except as otherwise provided herein. No agency, partnership, joint venture, or employment is created as a result of this Agreement and Customer does not have any authority of any kind to bind Company in any respect whatsoever. In any action or proceeding to enforce rights under this Agreement, the prevailing party will be entitled to recover costs and attorneys’ fees. All notices under this Agreement will be in writing and will be deemed to have been duly given when received, if personally delivered; when receipt is electronically confirmed, if transmitted by e-mail; upon receipt, if sent for next day delivery by recognized overnight delivery service; and upon receipt, if sent by certified or registered mail, return receipt requested. This Agreement shall be governed by the laws of the State of California without regard to its conflict of laws provisions. All suits hereunder will be brought solely in Federal Court for the Northern District of California, or if that court lacks subject matter jurisdiction, in any California State Court located in Santa Clara County.
EXHIBIT A: Service Level Terms
The Services shall be available 99.9%, measured monthly, excluding holidays and weekends and scheduled maintenance. If Customer requests maintenance during these hours, any uptime or downtime calculation will exclude periods affected by such maintenance. Further, any downtime resulting from outages of third party connections or utilities or other reasons beyond Company’s control will also be excluded from any such calculation. Customer’s sole and exclusive remedy, and Company’s entire liability, in connection with Service availability shall be that for each period of downtime lasting longer than 8 hours.
EXHIBIT B: Support Terms
Company will provide Technical Support to Customer via both telephone and electronic mail on weekdays during the hours of 9:00 am through 5:00 pm Pacific time, with the exclusion of Federal Holidays (“Support Hours”). Customer may initiate a support ticket during Support Hours by calling +1-408-471-4710 or any time by emailing email@example.com. Company will use commercially reasonable efforts to respond to all support tickets within one (1) business day.